Monday, October 24, 2005

I Can Be a Fan!

So I went to the Canucks game on Saturday night and, I have to say, I had fun. Granted, I did spend quite a lot of time making fun of hockey culture with my dad, and I zoned out more than a few times (I missed most of the goals). But the moments when I was paying attention, I was into it. I cheered along with everyone else; I booed; I did the wave. Just in case there’s anyone out there who thinks I am incapable of appreciating hockey.

One thing I don’t get: why do the players body-check each other so randomly? They could be no where near the puck when one player shoves another into the boards, eliciting cheers or boos from the crowd. What’s with that?

The astonishing thing to me is how thousands of people can make exactly the same vowel sound at exactly the same moment! Everyone seems to know instinctively when an “aaaahhhh,” or an “ooohhhhhh,” or an “oooooo” is required. Amazing. It would make a fascinating study for Professor Higgins.

7 Comments:

Blogger Marla said...

thank-you niki, for your hilarious comment. but i had to delete it, for reasons known only to you and me.

10/24/2005 11:06 a.m.  
Blogger ADLortie said...

the random body checking is so that hockey players bond better. actually it is cause they are brain dead and probably thought the puck was near.

10/24/2005 11:30 a.m.  
Blogger Mat said...

You must have been tense during the last five minutes when the Avs started the comeback. It was great just watching it on tele. Oh snap yeah YOU LEFT

Hitting in hockey is just part of hockey culture. I could explain it to you but you're a chick so you wouldn't get it. (wink)

And I thought this was a democracy what is with the censorship. F451 must be your fav book.

10/24/2005 6:23 p.m.  
Blogger Marla said...

i only deleted the comment because niki wanted me to.

it's not like i missed that much in the last 5 minutes.

i get hitting when it's purposeful, not when it's hitting for the sake of making people think you're tough.

what's "wink" supposed to mean anyways???

10/24/2005 7:05 p.m.  
Blogger Mat said...

I was just trying to say I was not seriously calling girls chicks it was a just kidding wink.
Yeah and 45% of the goals is nothing. Seriously I would give you Andrew as your servant for tickets like that.

10/24/2005 7:43 p.m.  
Blogger ADLortie said...

allison, here we have a civilized post about sports and you have to throw in figure skating... and no matthew can't give me away.

10/25/2005 8:59 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay I am with you with the hockey allison as I played myself during highschool truly I am a hockey convert as I used to play ringette growing up anyways back on topic. I was with you up until you siad about flowers and figure skating. Personally, I have never made a connection between the two. Where did you get that idea from....

10/25/2005 10:54 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home