Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Of Mice and Lady Macbeth

I decided to change the name of my blog on the suggestion of by roommate's boyfriend. "Marla Mouse" was a nickname my uncle gave me when I was little, and I didn't give it much thought when I named the blog. But it has started to bother me, because it suggests (as Jason said) meekness (which is not necessarily a bad thing), and quietness (also can be good) and fear (definitely not good). It's disheartening when I see how I've lived up to the childhood nickname. I have never wanted to be timid and shy, but that's how I've turned out.

In my last year at UBC I took a Shakespeare class which was, unquestionably, the best class I've ever taken. Despite my enjoyment and enthusiasm for the course, I didn't say anything the whole two terms. I just sat there, dumbly, listening but not contributing. Literally no sounds came out of my mouth in that class, except for when we did a mandatory performance and I was Lady Macbeth - I had memorized the part by heart - and I completely forgot every word and had to read it (there's NO way I was convincing as the “unsexed" power whore!). It really just comes down to a fear of rejection.

But no more, I say. I will be a contributer. I will give voice to my various (and often contradictory) thoughts and opinions! No more intimidation! Thanks Jason.

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I got your back 'M' cube.

10/19/2005 10:07 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Marl - I guess I could be 'Niki Naughty Noodle'???

10/20/2005 1:13 p.m.  
Blogger Marla said...

yeah, or 'Niki No-Car Noodle'!! sorry.

10/20/2005 1:26 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grrrr. Yeah... Love the lovely ICBC...not so v.g.

10/20/2005 7:21 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

couldn't help but tell you that one of most memorable moment os OAC (Grde 13) English with a Shakespeare monologue.... find me at church and I will tell you the rest.

10/25/2005 11:06 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home