Thursday, October 13, 2005

Career Caper

When I was little, my parents told me that I could do anything I wanted. When you’re young, and growing up is so far away, this is exhilarating. I used to daydream about myself in every career imaginable, and my aspirations were usually acted out by my Barbie dolls (she could be a secret agent, an architect, and a fairy princess all in one day!). If I could do anything, then I could do everything! Once I got a little bit older, though, this idea became a bit overwhelming. I had so many interests, how was I going to settle on one occupation?

When I was a teenager, I recognised these tendencies in myself. So I decided to lock into a career path, to prevent myself from changing my mind. All through high school I was focused on one single career goal: to be a doctor. I never thought of doing anything else. At the end of my first term as a science undergrad, I made the decision to switch to Arts and give up on becoming a doctor. I could never really figure out how I was going to breeze through medical school, spend a year abroad, get married, and have three kids by the time I was 26 anyway. Plus I had just flunked my Chemistry final spectacularly. I remember walking around campus in a daze as a world of opportunity literally opened up before me. What could I do now? It was terribly exciting.

The frustrating thing is that I have barely moved from that spot in the last seven years. I finished an English BA, I’ve traveled, I’ve made some money - but no real progress towards a vocation. I have considered that maybe I don’t really want a career; that maybe all I really want to do is work until I get married and have babies. But I know that kids grow up, and I really have no desire to be one of those moms with grown-up kids who fills her weekdays with coffee dates and shopping at Winners. Plus I want to be able to DO something - to make a contribution in some field. I just haven’t stopped daydreaming about every career imaginable. I’m afraid that if I choose something, I’ll regret it and wish I had chosen something else.

It’s funny how paralysing it is to have someone tell you that you can do anything. Sometimes I think that having more options has actually restricted me. I almost wish that someone would block off all my opportunities so that I would be forced into some vocation, or at least rebel. I think that’s one of the things I like about Victorian novels: the heroines have only two “career” options, so anything above or beyond them is an achievement. So maybe I’m just lazy. And I can’t commit.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think it's that you CAN'T commit, it's just that you're scared to hurt the feelings of the other careers that you DON'T choose. Yeah. Yeah! That's it!!

Love you man

10/13/2005 1:27 p.m.  
Blogger Mat said...

In Jan-March I was deciding whether to stay in Toronto or come out here. (similar but not) My friend used to always say this verse that seem cheese to say (and totally cheap to just drop pad answer verses)but it really was encouraging and helped 1 Tim 6:15-6
"which God will bring about in his own time—God, the blessed and only Ruler, the King of kings and Lord of lords, who alone is immortal and who lives in unapproachable light, whom no one has seen or can see. To him be honor and might forever. Amen."

You and God know what you will excel at. I guess it is better than being a housekeeper, a school teacher or one of those friends things.

10/13/2005 9:54 p.m.  
Blogger ADLortie said...

niki - that was kinda wacko.

if you are having trouble deciding i find the best way to figure this out is to just flip a coin. you never know what could happen.

10/13/2005 10:06 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What?! Andrew, who do you think you are coming onto this blog and calling the treasurer of this democracy WACKO!! That's it. Your taxes have just gone through the roof. (Oh, the power! The ultimate power!)

10/14/2005 11:03 a.m.  
Blogger Marla said...

Niki, I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to fire you as treasurer. How can you be so blatantly corrupt? Andrew, you can be treasurer, instead.

10/14/2005 1:03 p.m.  
Blogger ADLortie said...

yes, haha niki. With great power comes great responsibilities.

10/14/2005 2:59 p.m.  
Blogger Marla said...

that is so true.

10/14/2005 4:02 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Marla! It's me, Amy! I'm on your blog now too so I can be as cool as my big blister Niki. I didn't feel like reading your blog, but I'm sure what you had to say was very valid and intellectual and Marla-like. Ok, that's it.
Amy

10/14/2005 6:30 p.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm a torn peasant...

on one hand, Niki was put on the chopping block without so much as a secret ballot...

on the other hand, our self appointed president seems be advocating an attainable tax bracket...

I'm going to have to pull a 'Swiss' and wait this one out.

10/16/2005 12:34 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would just like to say that I let my power go to my head. As someone who had risen from nothingness into the great realms of the democratic process, I would like to extend my deepest and most profound apologies to our esteemed president for turning semi-communist/dictator. (Can I be the secretary...?)

10/16/2005 12:05 p.m.  
Blogger ADLortie said...

j-sun seems to be impartial so i think we should nominate him as a judge or attorney general.

10/17/2005 10:36 a.m.  
Blogger Mat said...

Budd you got it all wrong impartiallity is bad in a judge they need to vote party lines. Judges gotta play politics, I guess that is why I dont blame niki for looking out for herself.
Welcome to the real world of the cynical mind.

10/17/2005 5:57 p.m.  
Blogger Marla said...

okay okay okay. i think i need to exercise my authority here. since this is only a very very small blog, i will be acting as president, judge, and police officer (i'm the only one with the power anyways). and because this blog is free, there will be no need to levy taxes. if it gets any bigger and more influential, then we'll see about distributing responsibilities. for now, well, this is getting silly.




boobs

10/17/2005 6:53 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home